February 13, 2018 - By: Danbury-Seniors
According to the National Council on Aging, here are some simple steps that you can take today to reduce falls among older adults during the Winter months.
- Raise awareness about falls and the elderly
- “Winterize” shoes, boots, and assistive devices
- Carry kitty litter for slick surfaces
- Get screened by your healthcare provider to see if you are at risk for a fall and what you can do about it
- Give the gift of falls prevention – whether you buy these items or receive them as gifts, here are some examples of items that help with fall prevention – higher toilets in the home, grab bars in the bathroom, set automatic lights over stairways and by outside entrances.